Saturday 5 November 2011

30 days hath November - 3 years ago today

To be honest I don't have much of a clue what I was doing 3 years ago today... Fortunately I checked back on Facebook and twitter and they told me...

My friend Jenny's company Marlin PR launched a new tech company called Amplify and I posted a link to an article on brand republic about it on my Facebook, I was very proud! Later on in the evening, I seem to have gone to the fireworks on Clapham Common with chums.

I am not sure if it's the same round the globe but the 5th November is Guy Fawkes night or Fireworks night in the UK. It's a weird holiday... Basically guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament in London but failed on the 5th November in the year of sometime a very long time ago... Ironically the hacker group Anonymous use the guy Fawkes mask to wear when they appear at demonstrations.

So to "celebrate" guy Fawkes failure, every year we build a huge bonfire, make a fake man called the Guy to be burnt on top (I think they did burn the real bloke at the stake too) and set off lots of fireworks and have sparklers, mulled wine, apple bobbing, toffee apples and really cold BBQ weather!

It's proper good fun and in London, on Clapham Common, we have an awesome free fireworks display that is set to music including usually the star wars theme tune which makes my dear geeky husband very happy... There are usually tens of thousands of people and afterwards, everyone heads to the local bars and has a huge party...

So that is what I was doing 3 years ago today... According to social media... (thank god for Facebook and twitter or I might have to rely on my memory!)

Wonder if I will see any fireworks tonight?! I hope they don't wake my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment