Wednesday 26 October 2011

I love, and loathe, public transport!

I am currently stuck on the platform at victoria station. This happens 4 days out of 5, victoria tube will be shut, over crowded, delayed or some other dreadful excuse that makes me late for work, hot and cross.

I have had to wait for 3 trains to go past as they are too full to get any more people on. I am not even on a train yet and I've been trying to get to one for 15 minutes!

Its a shame as I genuinely like public transport, unlike my husband who hates tfl, bob crow and everything about it with a passion that borders on obsession! I think it could be very convenient, it can be very pleasant and should work better than it does.

I don't have the answers (but I don't think paying tube drivers over £40k helps - they don't do anything!) but I do hope that it can keep going, get better and not get so expensive that ordinary people are priced off it as has happened with the overground trains into London.

I don't care about ticket offices (I buy my oyster season ticket from my local newsagent) or drivers. I would prefer drivers to convert into more platform staff to help people find their way about and keep the flow of the station moving. More staff actually helping people, rather than standing in ticket offices or cabs would make people feel safer and more comfortable. Especially in the run up to the olympics when thousands of people every hour will be trying to find their way from one platform or tube line to another - tourists don't want drivers, they need help and instructions.

The same with buses, when I first moved to London, I didn't get the bus anywhere as it was far too bloody confusing to figure out where to catch it from, to get where, what number etc. I will admit that the annoying shouty messages DO make it easier to know where you are and therefore where to get off but only because I can follow the bus route on google maps on my phone. Surely tfl or lovely Boris (best mayor EVER) could find a way to simplify and demystify the bus network. I have friends who have lived in london a decade and still can't get on a bus as they aren't sure how it works! And if they can't, how the hell do we expect tourists and olympic visitors to negotiate their way about?

I have finally got to the office. Its taken a long time. I still love public transport but god knows other countries do it so so much better than us. I wonder if london will ever catch up! We claim we are one of the greatest cities in the world. We aren't, not by a long shot, but its got so much potential - if only someone could figure out how to get us from a to b properly, that would be a good start.

Time for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment